Thursday, October 16, 2008

Korean Air: Zombies in space?


A jet plane is something that gets you quickly from one part of the world to another, preferably on time and without too much inconvenience or discomfort. Along the way, you may get some beverages ($$), a pillow ($), and a blanket ($). What you don't get or expect, I would imagine, is high-fashion models and cabin attendants. So maybe I'm dense, but I don't get Korean Air's current TV campaign.

It's black and white, except for certain details which are rendered in washed-out turquoise. For instance, part of the high-fashion outfit of a model twirling on the runway; pieces of the uniform of (what I assume is) a Korean Air cabin attendant looking off to one side and shown diagonally in slo-mo, as if she's tripping; and, of course, the logo. Some words appear on the screen from time to time, seemingly unrelated to the visuals. Inscrutable.

You can see similar images on their website here. But the part of the site where you can "experience" their TV commercials doesn't work. A bad omen for your Korean Air travel experience.

Down to practical matters. If I had to guess, I would say this commercial is aimed at a very specific (microscopic) target audience: female fashionistas who are traveling from the U.S. to South Korea. Or, and this just occurred to me (I'm pretty dense sometimes): perhaps it's aimed at male sex tourists anticipating an aperitif of sensuality to get them in the mood for what awaits them in Seoul. Aaaargh. If that's it, I don't want to know.

No comments: